Quote

"A room without books is like a body without a soul." - Cicero

Monday, March 4, 2013

Something Witchy by AJ Myers

My name is Ember Blaylock. Welcome to the World of Weird—better known as my life.

It wasn’t always like this. I was once a normal high school senior, just filling out college apps and trying to stay sane long enough to get out of Moonlight, Missouri. Preferably before I ended up in a straight-jacket out of sheer boredom.

At first, my only problems were my increasingly unwanted ability to see the dead and my desperation to remove the stalker known as my ex-boyfriend from my life. Somewhere along the line I must have pissed off the Bad Karma Fairy. Maybe I stepped on the wrong toadstool or peed in Loki’s personal swimming pool—I really don’t know. All I do know is I’m about to have the worst week of my life. Maybe the worst week of any teenager’s life. Ever.

All because of a dead guy.

From the second pale, too-hot-to-be-real Nathan Ashley stepped out of the wreckage of his mangled sports car, my life spiraled into complete and utter chaos. One minute, I'm quasi-normal, the next I’m being kidnapped by a vampire, I’m having weird, creepy powers sprout up out of nowhere, and I’m running from a demon who wants to get more familiar with my anatomy…or kill me. Again. Yeah, did I mention he's done it before?

Anybody know if those straight-jackets come in pink?

***

Bravo! I was very very impressed by this book. It's the perfect ride; long and pleasantly slow at times and then BAM, it's like all of a sudden you're on a roller coaster climbing higher and higher...and then you're back to that pleasantly slow ride....and then BAM, back to the roller coaster. It was like that the entire time, it was the perfect balance. The story, the plot, the climax, were all great! But my favorite thing? The characters! I am completely invested in Nathan, Ember, Grams, even Kim and Blake who appeared for a short time in the beginning. The characters are so alive, they jump out of the page...I don't know how she does it because she doesn't bore you with unnecessary details about them. Yet, you have this clear image of them in your mind. I kept reading the book fast, and then trying to pace myself...I wanted to finish it, but I wanted to take my time because I DIDN'T want to leave the world AJ Myers created. But then when I finished, I realized it was only part 1 of the Mystics & Mayhem series. I cannot wait to read the next installment!




Slam Dunk!

No comments: