Quote

"A room without books is like a body without a soul." - Cicero

Saturday, March 22, 2014

All I Ever Wanted by Kristan Higgins

"Turning thirty has it's ups and downs... For Callie Grey, coming to grips with her age means facing the fact that her boyfriend-slash-boss is way overdue with a marriage proposal. And that she's way off track, because Mark has suddenly announced his engagement to the company's new Miss Perfect. If that isn't bad enough, her mom decides to throw her a Big Three Oh birthday bash... in the family funeral home. Bad goes to worse when Callie stirs up a relationship with the town's single-yet not so warm and fuzzy- veterinarian, in order to flag Mark's attention. So what if Ian McFarland is more comfortable with animals? So what if he's formal, orderly and just a bit tense? Friendly, fun-loving and spontaneous Callie decides it's time for Ian to get a personality makeover. But, dang-if he doesn't shock the heck out of her, she might actually fall for Vermont's unlikeliest eligible bachelor..."

Usually I don't like to read romances based in modern times, that's not to say that I don't, just that I don't often. This novel however, pleasantly caught me by surprise! It's main Character, Callie Grey is someone I can relate to fully. She's quirky and lovable and fun! Over all cute and friendly. She aims to please and sometimes tries too hard at being liked. That being said I was not surprised to find that she was over the moon for her handsome model-like God of a boss. and was even less surprised when his feelings did not pan out as she had foreseen. The horror!

This book has some elements that had me cringing as Callie's luck gets increasingly worse!! Her birthday present of a bracelet and break-up combo, "Emotional Diarrhea" at the DMV and party at a funeral home, yuck! Her bad luck just seemed never ending and I found myself unable to pull myself away. The way her romance with the serious and pensive vet played out, had me a little disappointed at first because he was so awkward at times, but getting to know him, and getting under his rough exterior, you meet a man that was seriously damaged by his own past. By just being who she is, Callie stirs up a romance that opened an array of emotions that she didn't expect he or she would ever have for each other, as well as closing the door on her older unresolved emotions for Mark. Without giving up too much more, I will say that this story had me laughing and on the verge of crying at points and always kept me entertained. I will say that if I had to change one thing, it would be adding more details to the romantic aspect of Callie and Ian's relationship. Beside that, I love how the story was written and am anxious to read more of Kristan Higgins's novels.


No comments: