Quote

"A room without books is like a body without a soul." - Cicero

Monday, April 19, 2010

Time Off for Good Behavior by Lani Diane Rich

"I want to sue the city of Hastings, Hastings General Hospital, and Channel 8. Oh, and my ex-husband."

Walter's eyebrows lifted. "Your ex-husband? What did he do?"

"He's alive. I want you to sue him for not being dead yet."

Walter sat back, his white dress shirt sticking a bit to his skin. It's possible the Fireside had been named for the fact that it was always hot as hell in there. "You can't sue for that."

"Why not? He's supposed to be dead by now. Doctor's orders."

Walter laughed, a cue for me to join in and say I was joking. I kept quiet. He stopped laughing. "You can't sue a guy for not being dead."

"Can we sue the doctor who told me he'd croak, then?"

He stared at me for a moment, sizing me up, an unsure smile tugging at his face. "You're serious?"

"Dead serious."


***

Wanda Lane has had a string of bad luck! Loses touch with her parents when she got married to an abusive man, divorced him and now lives in Alaska, but he finds time to call her up to either profess his undying love for her or threatens her life...

After striking an obnoxious 'pencil faced' lawyer, Wanda ends up with a head injury and in a coma. What else could go wrong? Well, in the result of the accident, she's now hearing this phantom music in her head which comes and goes as it pleases and loses her job!

Wanda is the type of woman who does not think before she opens her mouth, she curses like a sailor, and drinks bottles of Chivas Regal which she names 'Albert.'

After meeting a sexy attorney, Walter Briggs, she also meets a therapist friend who insists that she covers her walls with sticky notes listing ways to become a brand-new Wanda.

**

I absolutely loved this book. It's short; I think I must have read it in a day, but it was entertaining the whole way through and I laughed out loud a few times, which is a plus. The author created a fun book with lots of humor. I loved how Wanda's character is very flawed - every character can't be perfect!

I'd recommend it!


5 stars for the humor
5 stars for the touching moments
5 stars for the tough, edgy, and hilarious main character
and 5 stars for the novel being unique.



No comments: