Quote

"A room without books is like a body without a soul." - Cicero

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Something To Talk About by Dakota Cassidy

Emmeline Amos is sick of her ex saying she's boring and prissy. After all, she works for a phone-sex company! (As general manager, but still.) On a rare girls' night out, fueled by blender drinks and bravado, Em accepts a shocking dare—to handle a call herself. But it's tipsy Em who gets an earful from an irate single father on the other end of the line. Awkward. 

But not as awkward as discovering that same mad dad is Call Girls' gorgeous new programmer. Jax Hawthorne is still upset that his daughter called the "girlfriend store" on his behalf, but he can't deny he'd choose a hot-librarian type like Em if he were looking for love. Which he's not. 

Em wants to do more than just talk the talk. So she makes a bawdy bargain with Jax. They've both been burned before—this time, they'll keep it strictly physical. Except as soon as they settle on no strings attached, things start to get tangled….

***


 I received an ARC of this book for an honest review.

Something To Talk About is the second (or third if you count the prequel) installment to the new Plum Orchard series by Dakota Cassidy. The main character Emmaline Amos is introduced in the previous book, Talk Dirty To Me.

I was very excited to find out it was her story, I really dug her in Talk Dirty To Me, and she stole all the scenes she was in. We learn that Em used to be (and usually still is) a pushover, who was more concerned with not making a scene than standing up for herself and those she loved. I think the combination of her divorce and the cause behind it, and the dread of having to interact and be cordial to former mean girl Dixie was the catalyst for Em's change in attitude. Something To Talk About picks up right in the middle of Em's change.

Though I was very excited to read Em's story, I must admit I was a bit disappointed. I think Em makes a better secondary character than main character. I wasn't fond of her internal monologues - very wishy washy in nature and I think her thoughts made me like her a little less. As a secondary character we're not privy to those thoughts so we only get the dialogue from her and we can create our own inner monologues. I guess I had created her a little differently in my mind.

I still enjoyed the story as a whole. A lot more explicit sex than the other stories, which also took me by surprise seeing as this was uptight Em, but the scenes were hot, and they do vary from tame to sizzling. I will give you guys a heads up, the story is slow at first. The first 40 pages or so I had a hard time getting into; a lot of things getting set up for the real story. But trust me, things get interesting after that. And can I just tease and say there's a BIG secret that gets revealed in this story. Well, there's a few secrets, but I kinda saw all of them coming, except for one. This one dropped me on my ass!

And now for some random comments:
  • Lusty goo - *giggle* eww that sounds so wrong! Don't ever use that again, Dakota!
  • Oh my god, that first kiss!!! That scene was amazing! If there had been a guy around, I would have just grabbed him and kissed the shit outta him. That's how inspiring (and hot) that scene was.
  • "Your couch is awful. My back will never be the same." Neither will my vagina. - Oh my god, I almost died laughing!
  • Jax has a whole conversation with Jake in his mind - schizophrenic much? LOL.
  • "Did we just have angry sex?" Hahaha gotta love Em!

Overall a nice story, but I will admit I did not cry, I didn't even get teary eyed, and that's a little disappointing considering the amount of tissues I've already used up on this series. 

 3.5 Stars


No comments: