Quote

"A room without books is like a body without a soul." - Cicero

Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Talking After Midnight by Dakota Cassidy

Shields up, sugar—things in Plum Orchard are about to get real.  

Marybell Lyman is notorious for two things: 

Her look. The wicked hairstyle, multiple piercings and practiced sneer that say: "Stay back—I bite." 

Her voice. The syrupy lilt that's her bread and butter at Call Girls, the prim little town's flourishing phone-sex company. 

Hunky handyman Taggart Hawthorn is mesmerized by the contradiction: such sweet tones inside such a spiky shell! He wants to know more about mysterious Marybell, to hear more of her sexy talk—all for himself. 

But Tag's attentions, delicious as they are, have Marybell panicked. She's been hiding a long time. She's finally got a home, a job and friends she adores. She won't have it all snatched away by another stupid mistake—like falling in love. So when Marybell's past comes calling, she and the Call Girls will prove no one handles scandals like a Southern girl!


***

 I received an ARC of this book for an honest review.


Aww man - this is by far my favorite Plum Orchard book. I'm full up, ya'll! I can't even put into words how perfectly constructed this story was. The plot was amazing, the most complex one. The love scenes were great, the banter between the two main characters was great. It was funny, sad - heartbreaking really - romantic, steamy...it was everything a contemporary romance novel should be. Utter perfection. When I think Dakota Cassidy can't get any better, she does! I am in awe of her storytelling talent. There is a new standard around these parts - Dakota ruined the curve for every one else. I will compare all contemporary romances to Talking After Midnight. It is THAT good.

I'm actually surprised, because though I liked Marybell just fine, out of all the Call Girls, she was the one that stood out the least to me. I thought for sure Em's story would have been my favorite. But as I said in my review of Something To Talk About, Em is much better suited as a secondary character. I still stick by that, Emmaline was amazing in this book; she works best when she isn't the heroine.

This is the last book in the Plum Orchard series (guess it's a trilogy with a prequel). I don't want it to end. I really just want to beg her for more.

Uncensored comments straight from Kindle (sort of - it was a PDF, I took notes)

  • "But it wasn’t as though there was any hiding from the three pretty faces full of concern, pressed against the glass of her front door like a trio of suction-cupped Garfields in the back of a car window." -  I'd forgotten all about those little guys!
  • You can tell Dakota loves The Walking Dead, a lot of references to the show in her books as of late. ;)
  • “I can’t just let you light my pilot for free.” - Oh, it'll be his pleasure *eyebrow wiggle*
  • Awww! Second sex scene was not only hawt but the ending was so sweet! Put a smile on my face.
  • HAHA Marybell's lack of self control when it comes to Tag is kind of pathetic, but in a VERY hilarious way. Cuz isn't that how love happens sometimes? ;)
  • DOBY! :'(
  • “I said you get the hell off this lawn or I’m gonna show you what a can of some good old-fashioned companionator whup-ass is, you bunch o’ flesh-eating vultures!” -  Oh LaDawn! This is what Dakota Cassidy does - in the middle of your heart breaking, and crying like a baby, you get this awesomely hilarious moment and it makes you laugh your ass off in between the tears and the snot.
  • “I’m tired of it. You upset my woman. That upsets me. I want to smash your face in right now. The only reason I haven’t is that Maizy’ll be home any minute and I know Em would ground me for life if Maizy saw your blood all over the kitchen floor.” - Loved the image that popped into my head. Emmaline grounding Jax - HAHAHAHAHA!

Everyone should read this book. Even if you don't read the other ones in the series, please do yourselves a favor and read this book - it is amazing.


No comments: